The Cowgirl Get Together ministry, (formerly known as Cowgirls of Faith), was started in 2007. This ministry had been laid on the hearts of two cowboy pastor’s wives. They knew there was a need to minister to the women who were involved in the Western culture and lifestyle and in the Cowboy Churches all around the country.
The first Cowgirl Get Together was held in Athens, Texas in January of 2008 at Living for the Brand Cowboy Church. The Gathering has grown from about 430 women to well over 1000 women who gather together the fourth weekend in January each year.
There are five basic principles that this ministry is founded on.
- SEEK…to search for; try to locate or discover; to obtain or reach; to go to or move toward. In Matthew 28:19, we are commanded to GO. It is not an option! We must reach out to people who are hurting and in need. We must search for them, try to locate them, and go toward them. We can no longer sit in our nice comfy church pews and wait for them to walk through the back door!
- LOVE…to have strong positive emotion of regard for someone. The word “love” is used well over 300 times in the Bible. God’s love is often referred to as unconditional and unfailing. In other words without limitations, absolute, inexhaustible; always able to supply more.
Romans 13:9 and Galatians 5:14 both say to “love your neighbor as yourself”. This statement was not qualified by anything, it was simply a command. We must love each other with the love of the Lord. A love that is unconditional and unfailing.
- SHARE…to have a part of; to participate in; experience jointly. To be concerned or partake equally. Don’t be afraid to get involved with people…Jesus did!! Galatians 6:2 instructs us to carry each other’s burdens. Be prepared to share in someone’s life when they need you. They may need your help through a rough day or may need someone to share joy and excitement with. And equally important, share your life with them. We all have learned something from experience.
- TEACH…impart knowledge-teach by example; carry on instruction. We need to study and teach each other the Word of God. It is our guide for life. Any questions that we have can be answered in this book. Psalms 143:10…Teach me to do your will for you are my God. May your good spirit lead me on level ground.
- SERVE…to meet the needs of another. What better way to show God’s love to someone else. When Jesus saw the hungry, he fed them; when he was with the sick, they were healed. HE always met their physical and emotional needs before telling them about His Father.
I Peter 4:8-11 Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins. Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling. Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God’s grace in its various forms. If anyone serves, he should do it with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ.